Wednesday, February 18, 2015

ENGL706 - Survey Says?

WE'RE PLAYING THE FEUD

















Between the four commenters on my blog (you all are lovely, thank you) every nuance of the argument I intended was caught. Impressive! I was trying to use my collage to depict something like 'fitness is mostly mental', with a focus on female fitness (since I've been getting into working out lately). I attempted to add the female slant by using bright colors, one whole square of pink (which has been a moniker for female ever since WWII), and a female model as the focus of the largest image. While one commenter mentioned that this /could/ be read as my arguing that /only/ women have to overcome their own mental weakness in pursuit of fitness, but that certainly wasn't the intention. I guess that's one of the dangers of pure image arguments- you can't always anticipate every single way someone may interpret your argument!

I am definitely in the 'images can make an argument' camp, and I define argument rather loosely. Maybe something like 'point'. They make a point, they clearly stand for an idea, or inspire a non-tangible emotional reaction. Even if you're not sure what a visual piece is trying to argue, so long as it has an effect, it is an argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment