Wednesday, February 4, 2015

ENGL685 #6 - I Have Jitters, but It's Probably Fine

Seriously starting to feel overwhelmed yet AGAIN - does this terrible feeling ever go away?

Ask the journalistic questions on your focused research topic (at least 3 questions for each: who, what, where, why, and how). Identify top 2-3 questions. Briefly discuss what/how/why they are your favorite.

  • Who 
    • Who can my research potentially help?
    • Who would be interested in helping me if I furthered this study?
    • Who would I submit this project to if I wanted I published?
  • What
    • What are some of the ethical concerns with this project?
    • What kid of person wouldn't want to be polled in such a study?
    • What impact with this research have on my daily life?
  • Where
    • Where are the women I'm polling located geographically?
    • Where would I get funding to do this project with a larger group?
    • Where would I need to get permission from to publish my findings?
  • When
    • When would it be best to start making up questions for a poll?
    • When is it acceptable to re-post, asking for more poll responses?
    • When do I know I have enough data to begin drawing conclusions?
  • Why
    • Why did I choose this route for my research?
    • Why didn't I stay with my older, broader thesis and work from there?
    • Why?
  • How
    • How can I apply what this project will teach me to other projects in the future?
    • How many women is enough when it comes to poll data?
    • How can I apply my data in other fields?
SHORT LIST


  • Where are the women I'm polling located geographically?
    • This actually relates to if I chose to expand and re-do this project later on. Does their geo-location affect what they buy and when they buy it? This might just be one of those things that, in /real/ science, you'd have to control for, but I'd be interested to know if it tinges the results any.
  • How can I apply what this project will teach me to other projects in the future?
    • Well, in theory, the methodology I'm using right now will help me do better research in the future. Especially RE: coding and ethics, I definitely feel like I know more now than I did a few weeks ago. It's a more general kind of help, but I still feel it's totally valid.







1 comment:

  1. Right now these questions are more what questions you have about the/your research process. I'm still wanting to see more research questions that are the topic of your research. Does that distinction make sense?

    ReplyDelete