Wednesday, February 18, 2015

ENGL685 #8 - Here's How It REALLY Happened

Methods methods methods methods.

Bloody Mary Bloody Mary Bloody Mary

  • Jabareen, Y. R. (2009). Building a Conceptual Framework: Philosophy, Definitions, and Procedure. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 8(4), 49–62.
    • I went about this methods-finding journey by thinking about what I was already trying to do any working backwards. It seems like constructing a conceptual/theoretical framework seems to fit best with how I'm trying to apply rhetoric to a syllabus, so this was a good source to start out with. Jabreen begins with defining a conceptual framework and then goes on to give a standard methodology in 8 phases. It'll be between this or a theoretical framework for how I go about creating the ideas that I'll apply to my syllabi. Even if I end up using the other method, some of the 8 phases my be excellent supplementary recommendations to help me understand the framework building process in general.



  • Labaree, R. (n.d.). LibGuides. Organizing Your Social Sciences Research Paper. Theoretical Framework. Retrieved February 19, 2015, from http://libguides.usc.edu/content.php?pid=83009&sid=618409
    • I actually like this Library Guide from the University of Southern Carolina a lot! The layout is fairly clear, and broken up a little better than Jabreen's work, making it less of an evil wall of text and more of a "chunked" step by step guide for crafting a theoretical framework. Where Jabreen's source assumes the work of why you want to build your theory is already done, this guide does not. It offers several helpful questions for picking out the "angle" of your theory. It also says that, until you do a good lit review, it's pretty much impossible to pick out what theory you want to use to build your framework, which is totally true!

Next time I go hunting, I want to find more sources about "Frankentheories". Goaru Getto!


No comments:

Post a Comment